My kids love cucumber. And so I often serve it as one of the side dishes on the table and they are always gone. Yes, as parents you’re more than happy if they voluntarily work vitamins inside. Personally, I think cucumbers got so little flavor. Even though I buy biological ones, which seems to are less watery, yet it remains a vegetable with little flavor. So occasionally I adept and try a recipe with cucumber. I make sour cucumbers or a cucumber salad with carrot. And I also make tzatziki with cucumbers. Simple and quick to make and best if you make them in advance for a few hours. Even then, the cucumbers are gone. Only that time they are not all eaten by the kids …
- your dressing contains sufficient moisture you don’t want to add any more through the cucumbers. Therefor you scrape out the seeds with the back of a spoon. Otherwise, the dressing will become watery.
- you want a nice creamy tzatziki you use Greek yogurt. Would you prefer a more skinny tzatziki, but with the creamy touch, then buy a low-fat yogurt, and thicken it. Therefore place a sieve over a bowl. Place a cheesecloth in the sieve and pour the yogurt in it. Let it drain overnight.
- you don’t have fresh dill, you replace it with one teaspoon dried dill.
- Tzatziki is delicious with Greek dishes such as gyros or souvlaki. But it is also delicious as an side dish, for example at a bbq.
1 day before:
- make the tzatziki and store it covered with plastic foil in the refrigerator until use.